EndNote: Frequently Asked Questions for Wageningen UR
- See also the Thomson/Reuter EndNote FAQ page for more information.
- How do I obtain EndNote?
- Buy a CD at www.surfspot.nl (Version X5, €13,75 for students and staff, for both PC and Mac)
- Buy a CD at the WURshop in the FORUM building. (Version X5, €17.00). Take your student card or WUR registration card with you.
- Within the WUR domain: Windows "start" button -> WUR
-> Available software -> (Version X5)
- Where can I get EndNote instruction?
- Library WUR courses and demos, see the
Digital Library Calendar
- Thomson EndNote online tutorials.
- EndNote manuals on the Digital Library EndNote page.
- The EndNote toolbar is not available in Word or only the EndNote Web toolbar?
- In MS Word, select Tools -> Templates and Add-ins... and tag the check-box for EndNote Cwyw.dot and/or EndNote Web Cwyw.dot. If these . dot files are not available, you should reconfigure EndNote via Start ->
Programs ->EndNote -> Configure EndNote to add them to the Templates and
- What should I do if EndNote does not have my journal
- If you cannot find a journal style in the EndNote Style Manager,
check the EndNote page of the Digital Library , the EndNote Styles
Collection at the Thomson/Reuter EndNote website or
W:\APPS\EndNote\Distrib\Styles\. Additional styles are posted there for you to
download. If the requested style is not there you may ask one of the Information Specialists of the library.
- How do I transfer references from the Wageningen Catalogue to
- You may export references directly from the catalogue into an EndNote
library by first, select references and put them on a Marked List, then
open the Marked List and tag the option RIS format. Then click on
Export and select an EndNote Library.
- Another option is to search the catalogue via the EndNote search
interface itself by using Online Search. To use this method you may have
to install the Wageningen Catalogue connection file . References will
appear directly in EndNote.
- Is EndNote the only bibliographic formatting software
- In addition to EndNote, Thomson/Reuter also offers the programs ProCite and Reference Manager. Another
application that is on the market now for some years is web-based Refworks.
Open source free application Zotero is gaining popularity as well as Mendeley and Papers (for
Mac). See for an extensive comparison the Wikipedia page. At this moment EndNote is the only software
that is supported by Wageningen UR Library.
- Where does EndNote look for Connection files, Filters,
- EndNote locates such files in the directory that you have indicated in
your preferences as well as the directories where EndNote installs such files
by default. For the installation on the WUR network we have made sure you can
access the file directories; the preferred locations are M:\My
Documents\Endnote\Connections, M:\My Documents\Endnote\Filters and M:\My
Documents\Endnote\Styles. You can modify these locations ((Edit >
Preferences > File locations) By default EndNote installs connection files,
filters and styles in respectively C:\Program Files\EndNote ..\Connections
;C:\Program Files\EndNote ..\Filters ; C:\Program Files\EndNote ..\ Styles;
(where .. should be replaced by the version) . EndNote locates these files in
the directories of your current installation, but also in directories from
- The lists of files in Connection Manager, Filter Manager and Style
Manager are very long. How to make them shorter?
- Copy all the files that you use to the preferred location and rename or
delete the directories on the C: drive (see previous item in this FAQ) For
example: rename C:\Program Files\EndNote X5\Filters to C:\Program
- How does EndNote select filters for direct export?
- For Web of Science, Scopus and EBSCOhost EndNote automatically selects the
RefMan RIS filter. For OvidSP EndNote selects the filter with the correct
Vendor Identification and Database Identification. If more than one filter
meets the criteria the result is unpredictable. Therefore it is essential that
EndNote can only access one version of a filter (see previous item)
Alternatively to get control which filter is used with OvidSP one can save the
exported references to disk (choose Reprint / Medlars format upon export in
OvidSP) and in EndNote use File > Import .
| 26 June, 2012