The Special Collections of Wageningen UR Library consist of:
- collections of rare and old books and journals,
- old and modern maps and atlases,
- nursery catalogues,
- the collection TUIN, (Garden and Landscape Architecture in the Netherlands),
- aerial photographs,
- brochures on agricultural machinery,
- botanical and zoological illustrations, prints and photographical images.
The main subjects are agriculture, horticulture, ornamental plants, botany, forestry, livestock farming, land use and garden and landscape architecture.
Some of the most valuable items include herbals, botanical and horticultural books from the 17th, 18th and 19th century, land reclamation and soil maps, garden designs and tulipomania publications.
There are alo modern reference works, bibliographies and facsimiles regarding special collections on life sciences in general.
Catalogues and other publications
- Special Collections Catalogue: all books, periodicals, photograph collections and atlases, and a large number of the maps held by the Special Collections Department.
- Alterra Map collection: This database contains references to approximately 8000 maps related to the rural areas of the Netherlands. The maps were prepared by Alterra, formerly Staring Centre (SC-DLO) combined with the Institute for Forestry and Nature Research (IBN-DLO). The maps present data on archeology, soil science, geomorphology, groundwater, landscape, vegetation and cultural history.
- Database TUiN: partly a catalogue of the collection TUiN and partly a knowledge system on garden history and landscape architecture in the Netherlands. All the works of garden architect Leonard A. Springer are listed, including images of his designs.
- Nursery Catalogues: a nursery index on a collection of 35.000 catalogues of nurseries specialised in ornamental plants, bulbs and trees and also agricultural seeds, fruit and vegetables.
- 'Horticulture in general and ornamental planting': a printed subject catalogue of books published before 1851.
- Finding aid Agricultural Machinery collection (in Dutch): a subject list of types of machinary for diffrent uses.
Blog / NewsletterThe employees at the Special Collections report regular on interesting items regarding special collections, new books, projects of our clients and related subjects in a weblog in Dutch. In the blog you can subscribe to receive the items in a monthly newsletter.
LocationThe Special Collections are located at the Forum Library (Wageningen UR Building 102), Droevendaalsesteeg 2, Wageningen , The Netherlands.
Admission is free to all interested users.
Opening hours are Monday through Friday from 09:00 till 17:00.
Visitors from outside Wageningen are advised to make an appointment.
Wageningen UR Library, Special Collections
Location: Wageningen Campus, Forum (building 102)
Address: Droevendaalsesteeg 2. 6708 PB Wageningen
Post: PO Box 9100, 6700 HA Wageningen
T +31 317 482701; F +31 317 484761
|Wageningen Digital Library, 18 January, 2011|