|Type of Project||Strengthening partnerships and alignment projects|
|Keyword||food security; nutrition security; sustainable agriculture|
|Budget||5 136 250|
|Main Funder||Directorate-General for Research and Innovation (DG RTD) (H2020)|
|Coordinator||Agricultural Research Centre for International Development (CIRAD)|
|Project Web Site||https://www.leap4fnssa.eu/|
LEAP4FNSSA : Support to the implementation of the Long-term EU-AU Research and Innovation Partnership for Food and Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture
The general objective of LEAP4FNSSA is to establish a sustainable structure, or ‘Platform’, for the efficient and coherent implementation of the AU-EU Research and Innovation Partnership as described in the FNSSA Roadmap. Under the aegis of the HLPD and its Bureau, and by building upon related projects such as RINEA, CAAST-Net.
Plus, ProIntensAfrica and LEAP-Agri, LEAP4FNSSA aims to achieve this overall objective through three specific objectives: - Increase the synergies and coherence between actors, research and innovation projects, initiatives and programmes, through the development of institutional alliances and clusters of projects; - Develop a learning environment and a large knowledge base, including monitoring and evaluation activities, creating communication and links between different initiatives to improve STI cooperation; - Establish a long term and sustainable governance and funding mechanism for the Platform. To reach these objectives, LEAP4FNSSA will build on a large consortium of experienced partners and implement a methodology based on 3 principles: long-term impact, relevance of the outputs to the HLPD, and innovative actions. Long-term impact of the CSA relates to its main objective to enable and catalyse the transformation of the existing AU EU FNSSA Partnership into a bi-continental Platform for collaboration, organised along a Knowledge and Management Communication Framework. Outputs relevant to the HLPD will be achieved by connecting and framing activities of all Work Packages on top of the supporting activities specifically requested in the SFS-33-2018. Innovative actions are foreseen to run the Platform efficiently throught e.g. the development of a new approach to information mapping, text and data mining, and testing of multistakeholder alliances at a regional level and the mobilisation of actors to manage research and innovation programming in a 4-steps management cycle.
Work Package 1 will provide dedicated support and information services to the AU-EU Research and Innovation partnership in Food and Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture (the Partnership), to the AU-EU High Level Policy Dialogue on STI (HLPD) as the governing body of the Partnership, to the HLPD Bureau, and to its Working Groups.
The objectives of WP 1 are to:
- provide strategic and operational support to the implementation of the FNSSA Roadmap.
- Strategically link the Partnership and HLPD to existing international fora and processes and other external stakeholders;
- contribute to the knowledge basis of the HLPD and the Partnership by undertaking analytical and foresight activities;
- establish and conduct a monitoring and evaluation framework for both the Partnership and the Roadmap.
Work Package 2 will improve the effectiveness of the AU-EU FNSSA Partnership by contributing to the creation of strategic FNSSA Alliances in R&I, as part of the envisaged multi-actor Platform based on the HLPD FNSSA Roadmap of 2016 to jointly plan and implement research. The aim of this strategy will be to improve coordination and launch collaborative actions, in particular set up support mechanisms (including funding mechanism) for fostering the proposed FNSSA Platform to which the design and testing of an Africa-Europe Knowledge Management and Communication Framework (KMCF) is key.
The objectives of WP 2 are to:
- create sub-regional stakeholders’ alliances (RSHA) which will identify, within the framework of the Roadmap, the major regional stakes in the domain of FNSSA;
- translate these into more regional specific research agendas;
- put in place a ’sorting house’ mechanism for technologies and FNSSA systems improvement.
Work Package 3 will provide the core information system for the Platform. It will help to strengthen the decision- making process of the HLPD, while informing external stakeholders. The system will produce information on the progress and achievements of the Roadmap and evidence-based information justifying additional interventions.
The objectives of WP 3 are to:
- map and cluster ongoing and recently finished projects contributing to the FNSSA Roadmap;
- design and implement tools and concepts in knowledge management to improve the quality of information and the communication between scientists, policy-makers and practitioners, including farmers and investors;
- strengthen the knowledge base to increase the efficiency of the long-term AU-EU R&I Partnership, by developing new instruments for data analysis, supporting existing knowledge networks, and enhancing capacities for data management and communication;
- encourage better outputs from the involved projects and a greater outreach for results dissemination;
Work Package 4 will organise the external communication, promotion and dissemination activities, and create an Agora to broaden the communication6. It will also provide support in communication and brokerage to innovators linked to the pilot activity developed in WP2.
The objectives of WP 4 are to:
- disseminate and communicate project activities and outcomes with the aim of facilitating outreach, targeting decision-makers, stakeholders, end-users and funders in the field of R&I on FNSSA;
- reach out and raise awareness among civil society, stakeholders and relevant actors in agriculture and food systems;
- share with stakeholders and end-users the project goals and get feedback on how to increase LEAP4FNSSA impact
- promote the FNSSA Partnership and disseminate its results.
Work Package 5 will coordinate the implementation of LEAP4FNSSA and organise the final writeshop, at the end of the project.
The objectives of WP 5 are to:
- ensure the link between LEAP4FNSSA and the EC through its designated project officer;
- organise and monitor an effective and efficient implementation of LEAP4FNSSA, according to the agreed deliverables and milestones, and way of cooperation as described in the Consortium Agreement;
- liaise with WP1 to ensure that the support given to the HLPD bureau benefits from all the inputs generated by the other WPs in the implementation of the FNSSA Roadmap, in strengthening the EU AU FNSSA Partnership, and in formulating the way forward (the “Platform”) after completion of the LEAP4FNSSA project. This will be based on the deliverables of WP1 to WP4, and supported by relevant stakeholders.
Work Package 6 sets out the ‘ethics requirements’ that the project must comply with
The objective of WP 6 is to:
- ensure compliance with the ‘ethics requirements’ set out in this work package.